Spread The Word!

Saturday 13 September 2008

IPC Tour - Fitzwilliam Leg



I actually had no intentions of playing this. I had to be home in Belfast for about 2pm as Cemetry Sunday started at 3pm in the graveyard my dad is buried in. It would have been a mortal sin to miss this and as it's only once a year I couldn't justify not going, not even to myself. Well I headed to Dublin after work on Saturday as normal anyway to see Rob if nothing else. I figured I could even make my way round to the SE and play their EOM €200 game if Rob went well or possibly play cash in the Fitz although I don't consider myself a good cash player, but it would occupy me if nothing else.
So I arrived and discovered Rob was on the only table to be located downstairs. I didn't know anyone on it bar 'The Chief' who I hadn't seen in a while . . . I assume he has taken up a new residence in the Fitz! Since I started playing live poker I find it hard to watch as I usually want to play. Rob suggested I check the start time for the second day with Denise, so I did. This may sound big-headed but I never enter a tournament assuming I'll not make the Final Table. I'm certainly not the best at poker but I'd like to think I'm solid enough to go deep in most of the tourneys I play. Hence as I knew I couldn't be back down for an early start on the second day I opted to not enter. So I had a chat with Denise who told me a later start would prefer her and she hoped the second day wouldn't commence until 5pm or after. I explained the spot I was in and said the earliest I could get back for was 6pm. She was very accommodating and immediately gave me the option of playing, saying that should I make the FT she would have no problem with a 6pm start - Nice one Denise! I thought this was very good of her and duly bought in and headed upstairs to my table.


Strange table, in that there were 3 Belfast natives at it, this doesn't happen very often, especially in Dublin! I had Marty McCabe 2 seats to my right and the legendary 116% Jim 3 seats to my left! I had a slow 45 mins-1 hour then I started getting some chips together. I'd worked my stack up to about 25k and was quite happy at the table until some of the 'value' dunkeyed out and their replacements were not so much value! :( The table then gained players like Smurph, John Weafer and Seamus (unknown surname, but good cash player) so I wasn't liking my new company much! I lost some chips to Seamus when I flat called his preflop raise with QQ to try and trap him as he hasn't been paying me off, also called his bet on a K high flop to see if it would slow him down any but then had to fold as the board didn't help me out, just a pity my Q didn't hit. He told me afterwards he had AA and I have no reason to not believe him as I believe he could have played AA just as he did.


I was moved table shortly after which I was happy about as I was starting to dwindle in chips and a fresh table can sometimes help in my experience. Nothing really to report at this table other than the 2 hands I can remember . . . I called a shorty shove with TT, he has KQ and hit his K leaving me even shorter!! Damnitt!! Then managed to treble up (although still short), pushed with my A3 sooooted to be called by the BB with AQ. 3 on the flop then Q on the river! I hate it how it's always the river that shafts you!


So that was me, gone in 20th-25th, somewhere around that region, but again I enjoyed the tournament so I was glad I entered, still disappointing performance in comparison to Waterford. Rob had been knocked out about 2 or 3 hours before me (as usual) so he played some online then when I made my exit we headed downstairs for some food. The food in the Fitz is great and ideal at that time in the morning as nowhere else in Dublin would serve such great food at that time!


Just before I was knocked out, Rob had done an interview with Manus but he didn't tell me much about what was said. I checked it out later when following the Poker Events updates and heard a few compliments about my game metioned so I have to say I was quite chuffed (I'll pay you later Maus, Rob your comments were free, haha). And for anyone that listened to it, Manus referred to me not looking happy when I was knocked out. I can't imagine I was full of the joys of Spring, however I didn't think I was that annoyed looking. I was however annoyed at the dopey English git that begrudged me hitting my 3 on the flop of my exit hand, which made the Q all the more annoying for me on the river. I wouldn't mind but the dopey English git wasn't even in that hand, so his comments weren't necessary or welcome! Rant over, as is my account of last weekend.


As today is Saturday I'm about to head down to Dublin yet again, unfortunately too late for the charity tourney in the Fitz, but hopefully on time for whatever is on in the SE!!

No comments:

Spread The Word!