Spread The Word!

Wednesday 1 July 2009

Viva Las Vegas!

Before we knew it, it was time for Vegas already. Rob was only getting a short stint in Vegas this year as his one and only sibling was getting married in the middle of the Main Event. We decided to go for 2 and a half weeks at the start so he could play the $2.5k shoot-out and I could play the ladies event (I know . . . another fecking all girls, no poker logic, crapshoot, bingo session).


Rob opted for Ballys this year due to the central location and tennis court facilities on site, I know both crucial factors when deciding on which hotel to stay in.

Like last year, as well as plenty of poker we try to fit a few things into the trip, and went to see 'O' in the Bellagio. I really enjoyed this show, so much work and effort goes into each one of these performances that it's really hard not to like it immensely. I think I still preferred 'Ka' from the year before but 'O' was certainly not far off it, truly something to be experience when in Vegas is a Circe Du Soleil show or 2! Half way through the trip we did a tour of the Grand Canyon, taking a helicopter from the strip over Lake Meade and hoover Dam and landing in the Canyon for a picnic lunch. It was a fantastic experience which I would deffo recommend to anyone, certainly money well spent. We got back to the hotel early afternoon, had a nap, then showered and headed out to dinner. Rob decided to end a fabulous day with a trip to Neros (in Caesars), my favourite place to eat in Vegas. Little did I know that after the never-disappointing glorious food, he planned to propose, making the day all the more rememberable!

I played the WSOP Ladies Event for the first time. Played well in my opinion but found it hard to get going. Time and time again I saw bad play getting rewarded which is so frustrating, especially for what I would consider a large enough buy-in. I was surrounded by old biddys who looked like they were there becaused their regular bringo game had been cancelled. My exit hand resuting in a button limp, me raising from the SB with AJs, button calling. I flopped a flush draw on a Qxx flop and open shipped, she called me with Q9 and her one pair held. I did enjoy this tourney though, perhaps if only due to it being an actual WSOP event which I had never played before. Hopefully I'll qualify for the Main Event next year, I've never actually tried to qualify for it before, but I think it's time to start.

The trip was very quiet in terms of poker results for me, and for Rob I guess. Rob managed to chop one of the Caesars nightly tourneys and we both did well enough in the live sats in the Venetian. Unfortunately neither of us got anywhere decent in any of the bigger tournies but both had a few winning cash sessions. Overall though we were down a fair bit in live tourney buy-ins. Luckily enough Rob had a good spell online whilst there meaning we broke even on the trip, including expenses and shopping, so in theory I guess that means we made a small profit, albeit a well spent small profit, thanks to me :).


No comments:

Spread The Word!