Spread The Word!

Saturday 6 December 2008

Cavan Poker Open

First of all, the roads in Cavan are shockingly bad! The mortality rate in that county for deaths on the roads has to be ridiculously high! I mean, we all allow for country roads to have the odd bend, bump and chicane thrown in, but personally when driving in the dark on unknown roads, I'd rather if they didn't feel like a rally asault course . . . rant over.


So I arrive about an hour late, find my table and discover that my table is a self-deal! I was disgusted, not only was I late and had some catching up to do but my table was getting a hand in on average every 10 mins, just not good enough IMO! So I sit down and spend the first 15-20 mins watching people.



I pick up 88 and call a standard raise as do 2 others, I flop a set and check, initial raiser bets pot, I reraise as there are 2 clubs on the board and everyone folds including initial raiser who dwells then folds KK face up. This guy was an official nit, and the hands I see him play later confirm that's he's one of the tightest nits I've ever seen and quite possibly the tightest nit in the room.


After the addon I have about 25.5k. For the next 2 hours I'm completely card dead bar AQ twice whichI have to fold when I miss the flops and my cbet is raised. After blinding myself down to about 12k I get 99 twice consequetively and both times get paid by the 2 aggressive players at the table, I also take down a nice pot with AQ and now have my stack up to 50k. With blinds 500/1000 I end up in a tricky spot and without spoiling the hand history thread I've just put up on boards can conclude this blog entry.


I then played some cash, the standard was atrocious however I was running that bad that I did in €600. The last hand I played involded me losing a ~€550 pot with KK vs QQ, TJK flop, A on river. I watched Rob play some cash, he was up ~€700 and it was a round of each so it was certainly quite entertaining. The cash gets wrapped up at 7am and to our dismay the hotel has no rooms left so we ended up driving home at -5°C with both cars and getting home absolutely shattered.


Dara had lost a bit pot right at the end of the day's play and was left short giving him the crappy task of heading back the next day with about 12k to spin up. Unfortunately lady luck offered no help and he had a wasted journey! At least it meant he had time to get back to Dublin for the SE's monthly game!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow a genius? book a hotel ya bleedin muppa

Cat Taylor said...

Genius, hardly any need for that surely?

Had I have known that it was the only hotel for miles and that it would be fully booked then it would have been booked in advance.

That said, it worked out for the best, being back in Dublin early Saturday proved to be profitable enough. And in theory is there much need to pay for a room from 7am until 10 or 11, not much value for money imo.

dokearney said...

No, not great value at all, especially when they've jacked up the price to take advantage of stranded jackeens.

Spread The Word!