Spread The Word!

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Awesome April!

I still don't think I've come down since the hype of last month. I joined a proper golf course, met some really nice girls, gained the option of playing with them every Tuesday, watching loads of golf tips online, going to the range regularly. In fact I feel I'm improving every time I play. And just when I thought nothing could top March, along came April!

 

April brought the first major of the year. I guess I can admit I didn't appreciate the importance/prestige that comes along with majors. The only difference with this tournament was that it was stroke play & that scared the hell out of me. Rob kept drilling me with the 'don't throw the head up' mentality. I suppose in the past a mini-blow up wasn't the end of the world as stableford was only ever a positive accumulation, however for this one, every shot was crucial so I needed to remember to be sensible.

The ladies can play their medal on the Tuesday before the Medal weekend. Due to how my shifts were scheduled for the week I opted to play on the Tuesday & stuck my name down beside Lynette on the time sheet. I've played with Lynette before so I figured I wouldn't be as nervous as I would playing with someone I hadn't played with before. Thankfully I had a sensible round that Tuesday & as predicted I wasn't nervous at all playing with Lynette. Lynette's a good golfer & she plays regular golf which seems to be the key to getting better as many of the girls up here play frequently. Anyways between the good company & the continuing improvement I managed a 69 gross which by the end of the play that weekend was top of the pile. If I didn't get it before, Rob made sure I realised the deal about winning a medal.

The good play continued to the Sunday & 37 points off my new playing handicap of 27 was enough to see me lose another increment. No change to my playing handicap but all in the right direction huh. Some more practice later & the next thing I know I've managed 46 points off 27 which is obviously my best round to date. I'm convinced that stroke play event was good for my discipline, no more loose play, I now know I can keep my head down. I was delighted with the round to say the least, so I finished my round & headed to the Burlington to rail Rob in the Irish Open. He ended up finishing 7th, which is awesome, great weekend all round for both of us :)

No comments:

Spread The Word!